Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Mashed Rutabagas!



Under-rated.
Under-utilized.
Under-appreciated.

All of these words could be used to describe Rutabagas, the cold-climate-thriving root veggie that's aching for attention.

If you're like me you can probably count on one hand (or no hands) the times you've eaten Rutabagas...

But don't let your past keep you from your future!

The thought of adding Rutabagas to my grocery list never crossed my mind until I stumbled upon the Rutabaga pledge on the Whole Living website, and obviously, I took it.

So when my beau and I decided to stay in and cook for Valentine's Day dinner I knew it was the perfect opportunity to experiment with this new ingredient.

The results? A delectable concoction that rivals any mashed potato recipe.

Yes my friends, I made Mashed Rutabagas and it was a culinary triumph.

So before we go over how to make this wholesome and hearty side dish, let's take a look at some of the nutrients you'll be consuming when you give Rutabagas a try:

  • Potassium
  • Beta-carotene
  • Vitamin A
  • Calcium
  • Vitamin C
  • And they're almost fat free! (<1 gram)

Did I mention they're also extremely low in calories?

Yes, my darlings, 100 g. of cooked Rutabagas is only 39 calories.

39 calories! This knowledge paired with their delicate sweetness will keep you comin' back for more!


So now that you two are well acquainted, let's get started!

What You'll Need:

2 Medium Rutabagas
1 cup Milk
1.5 cup Buttermilk
2-3 TBSP Earth Balance or butter
2 tsp Nutmeg
Salt & Pepper, to taste

Directions:

Start by peeling your Rutabagas......don't be intimidated by their unfamiliar exterior.....

Once you've peeled them, cut them into small cubes. This will be relatively hard to do, so make sure you use a sharp knife and steady hand!

Now put the Rutabaga cubes into a large pot of boiling water and cook for about 15-20 minutes or until the Rutabagas are tender.

Once they are done cooking, drain and rinse them and place them into a bowl.

Use a fork or electric mixer to mash the Rutabagas and then add the milk, buttermilk, nutmeg, earth balance, salt and pepper.

Serve and enjoy!




xoxo,
Stay Curious!

No comments:

Post a Comment