Sunday, January 8, 2012

Cranberry Walnut Bread

Since the Atkins diet is no longer a fad, I hope you all embrace carbs like I do.



Unlike other food groups, my carb cravings are always pretty consistent. I am somehow always in the mood for them, especially bread.  


So when my Aunt Sally brought two loaves of her homemade bread for Christmas, I realized she was onto something....


The only way to heighten the sensation of eating bread is by making the bread yourself! So naturally I bought myself a bread machine, so that I could start making fresh, fluffy goodness all on my own.


I've toyed with a few recipes so far and I'm sharing my favorite one with you today.


You don't have to have a bread machine to make bread, although it does make it a lot easier!


If you love bread (and dried fruit and nuts) you will love this recipe....




What You'll Need

3 1/4 cups bread flour
1/2 TBSP salt
1.5 TBSP butter or earth balance
2 1/4 teaspoons active dry yeast (or 1 .25 oz package)
1.5 TBSP white sugar
1 1/4 cups lukewarm water
1 cup dried cranberries
1 cup walnuts, chopped

If you have a bread machine, you know the drill. Just make sure to add the yeast first and the water last with the other ingredients in between, set it to the white bread setting and the machine will do the rest for you! Just add the cranberries and walnuts at the end of the second kneading process.

If you have a dough hook for your food processor or mixer, you can use that to make the dough rather than doing it manually.

If you do not have a bread machine or a dough hook for your processor or mixer, here's what you'll do.....

Directions:

In a large bowl, dissolve the yeast and sugar in warm water. Stir in the butter, salt, cranberries, walnuts and two cups of the bread flour. Stir in the remaining flour 1/2 cup at a time, and beat well after each addition.

Once it is at a nice consistency, transfer the dough to a floured surface and knead until it is smooth and elastic. This will take about 8 minutes.

Now place the kneaded dough in a greased bowl and cover with a damp cloth to let it rise. Let it rise until it has doubled in size. This should take about one hour.

Once the dough has risen, place it into a lightly greased 9x5 in. loaf pan. Cover the load again with a damp cloth to let it rise for another 40 minutes. It should double in volume.

Preheat your oven to 375 degrees F. Once the bread has risen for the last time, place it in the oven and bake for 30 minutes or until the top is golden brown.

I hope you enjoy this delicious bread!










xoxo,
Stay Curious!

No comments:

Post a Comment